“To Teach Who Christ is” is the mission of the church and an exceptional way to build our future. It is an important mission of every one of us as Catholics because we begin with the focus on the religious education of every child, youth, young adult and adult as a way to establish a foundation.
This is appropriately the title of the campaign of all the parishes in the Archdiocese to raise funds to make sure this mission takes place. The steps to the process are a trilogy: the teaching of Jesus to children and adults, the preparation of those who teach them and the facilities necessary to allow this to take place. Each is a part of this campaign and all are connected, just as we are connected to others through our family, friendships and faith.
On that note, I hope we all feel that we have been blessed, not only with our faith, but with those who have helped us to appreciate it and to cultivate our relationship with Christ. As we consider this and pray in thanks for our faith and for those who have helped us to deepen it, I ask all of us to express that gratitude in prayer and subsequently in our contribution. I am not asking that each of us make the same monetary gift to continue the work of the parish and the maintenance of our buildings, but I am asking that we all make a similar sacrifice. This will only be done well if we pray about our blessings as well as our gratitude. Thus, prayer will be a key element to the success of our parish campaign.
Quite simply, the “To Teach Who Christ Is” campaign focuses on strengthening parishes and schools, as well as Catholic education in all its forms across the Archdiocese. But the first priority is the needs of our own parish and fortunately, at least 60% of what we raise will be available for parish needs. The other 40% will go to the Archdiocese to assure funds for all forms of Catholic education and formation of children and adults into the future.
Over the years, we have often had the privilege of being recipients of part of this percentage, as the Archdiocese contributes significant funds to the support of our school.
So although we are still working on the list of projects we need to accomplish here in the parish, some projects have surfaced:
-A new or upgraded sound system in the church and gym
-The repair of the west wall of church (balcony)
-The renovation of the chapel roof
-Restore/replace the protective windows in the church as well as paint/repair window frames.
As we are still working on our list, other projects may be added as we move forward. You can see, this campaign is meant to be extensive. Our parish goal is to raise almost $690,000 over 3 years, or approximately $230,000 in each of the three years. This obviously sounds like a huge amount, and it is. However, it is a goal that we can reach if we are all willing to do our part. This is why I ask you to pray about your own commitment and sacrifice. Our grateful attitude to God for what we have received is the only thing that will give us a reason to make a commitment and fulfill it. It is up to us. Our faith, our future, lies in strengthening our church to continue moving forward.
Rev. Donald J. Nevins